Nepal: General Information
Aa chain of highest and the youngest mountain on earth, Nepal is a country of apparent diversity, amazingly rich culture with varied complex compassing a region of deep religion with subtle and spectacular traditional culture. What in now a Nepal was a collection of feudal principalities sandwiched between the Mogul India and Tibet. Land locked and with an area of only 800 km long and 200 km wide, the terrain changes from its highest altitude of 8848 meters and glaciers along the Tibetan border to the flat jungles of Terai, barely 150 meters above sea level in it. s 200 km longitude. The country does not ascend gradually from the plains. Rather, it raises from several chains of the hills that lie's in an east. west direction, finally terminating in the youngest .
and the highest range in the world the HIMALAYAS
Nepal, today offers much more than superb mountain scenery. It provides an opportunity to step back in time and meet people who like our ancestors many centuries ago lived free of complications, social economic and political which beset the developed world.
- Population: 30.5 million (UN, 2012)
- Capital: Kathmandu
- Area: 147,181 sq km (56,827 sq miles)
- Major language: Nepali
- Major religions: Hinduism & Buddhism
- Monetary unit: 1 Nepalese rupee = 100 paisa
- Main exports: Carpets, clothing, leather goods, jute goods, grain
- GNI per capita: US $560 (World Bank, 2010)
- Internet domain: .np
- International dialling code: +977